Thursday, January 29, 2009

Last.fm on Fring

I installed the latest version of Fring client yesterday once I saw the blog post about Last.fm integration to it from TechCrunch. I had been using Fring before but once we got our own Nokia Chat (now called Contacts on Ovi) out last summer I ditched Fring.
Now I played around with the new Fring client a bit and it is pretty nice...they have done quite nice job integrating Twitter, Facebook etc.
But the point for me to check the new client was to see how they've done the Last.fm integration. As I assumed Last.fm is one item on your buddy list. Basically all the main features are supported. You can create channels by a band name, listen to your friends' channels, ban and love music etc. The playback does continue in the background even when you're chatting f.ex. with a Gtalk buddy. So everything is cool otherwise but the UI could be better. It's a bit ugly and moving between the playback, ban, love, etc buttons and artist info field is a bit clumsy because the tab order is weird.

So will I start using Fring again? Well, not for chat as Contacts on Ovi does the trick for me. But I'll keep the client installed for the rare occasions I want to listen to Last.fm on my E71.

No comments: